Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Verny Park.

Today is the day we find a secret entrance onto base.

Verny Park= A memorial built for Leonce Verny. He is remembered in Japan as a symbol of modernization and friendship with France. 
"Verny was appointed chief administrator and constructor of the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal in 1865. Yokosuka was chosen because it was a well protected inlet, in close proximity to Yokohama and Tokyo. Verny also helped in the negotiations for the First French Military Mission to Japan, consisting of military advisors under Jules Brunet to help train and re-equip the Tokugawa army from 1867, and to assist it in theBoshin War against the Satchō Alliance." -Wikipedia 
Mama and I ride the JR today. It is different than the train we most often ride. They all look the same to me, though. "Train! Train! People on the train. Boy on the train. I see over there. This train? I on it. Own seat? I sit here."

Verny Park is right outside the Yokosuka JR station. The park is blooming with roses right now and it's a popular destination for native Japanese, military personnel, and other expats alike. Mostly, it is a nice park to walk through on your way to another destination. 




Mama sees water, ships, and roses as soon as she steps foot out of the station. There are plenty of people to take our picture. For a while, I enjoy a light snooze.





Mama is negotiating with a man on where to stand for a picture. I wake up to see if I can help. He positions her, then snaps a photo and directs us to another spot. "This better here," he says. "No, wait, turn from the sun." He speaks enough English that we understand, but his mannerisms are 100% traditional Japanese. Mama giggles a little but lets him carry out his task with our camera in hand. Here are two of his perfect pictures. These took four minutes a piece. Not knowing what time is it, we are not in a rush. 



The pictures turn out well and it was a fun interaction. Japanese are usually very helpful and go out of their way if you ask them for help, well, most of the time. 

I spot the playground from here and go from groggy to hyper in two seconds flat. Mama releases my wiggling body and I run ahead. "I fast. You comin? I see the park. Kids at the park! Friends? Let's go!" My arms swing back and forth so fast that I'm twisting side to side as I run. I think I am faster when I do this. Daddy says my form needs a little adjusting. 

"Friend! A boy. He ride too? Kami's seat. Your seat."  


Immersing myself in the swarm of playground kids, I get a little stuck on the ladder. Luckily, everyone is moving as slowly as I am. Eventually, we all sort it out. The mamas stand back and watch. 


Back to the modified see-saw. This thing is great! Mama tries it out too.


Back and forth to the different structures for a while. Every playground here is just a little bit unusual. I love learning to climb here!



Miss Brittany told Mama about a new gate onto base. We march off in search of it. Found it! So much closer than we expected. "Bye bye mall. Bye bye water. Look, a baby. Baby eating. I hungry. Goldfish? Apple?"

During our snack, I find lots of ants. "Ant here. Nother ant here. More ants! I pick it up. Wait. Moving fast. Ant fast. Hold still. No ants, too hard." Then, we sit on one more playground ride before the bus.


I love Yokosuka playgrounds!

2 comments:

  1. Verny park is beautiful with all the roses in bloom! We never got to see it in full bloom. This is also where we had one of our scariest/creepiest Japanese encounters. So glad you got a nice man to take great pictures instead of what we got...I will have to share the story with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You will have to tell me all about it!

    ReplyDelete