Thursday, May 23, 2013

Shibuya.

Today is the day we go to Tokyo!

Shibuya Station= One of Japan's busiest railway stations. Shibuya also refers to the HUGE shopping district surrounding the station. We want to go there to see the big intersection that appears in many movies when Tokyo is pictured. It is the busiest pedestrian intersections in the world.

Mama borrows a stroller I can ride all the way to Tokyo. At first, I think Emi or Beau is coming with us because they are the ones that have strollers. It is the first time I have been in my own stroller in months! I am so excited! This is the goal I have been working toward for a week now! 

"I ready. Where your shoes, Daddy? My shoes here. Stroller! I push it. I in it. Stroller to TOKO! Ready Mama? Ready Daddy?" I take their face in my hands to make sure they are listening! I'm SO EXCITED! Stroller and Tokyo all in the same day!


We get on the train and as usual, I have to check everyone out. There is boy with his Daddy, two little girls with their Mommy, lots of old people with books, some younger people with phones, and one old man with a purple sequin bag. Finally, my eyes stop on a lady with lots of cool luggage. "I out. I see a zipper. Z for zipper. Lots of zippers. Look, a boy. I out please."

The train is not full at this point, but it sure fills up quickly. It is packed by the time we are in Yokohama. Daddy is squished with me on one side and Mama is up against a rail on the other side of the train car. We look like sardines. Mama can't even raise her camera up to take a picture. That would be weird anyway. I sleep for a while.

We switch trains and the next one is just as packed. Where do all these people come from??? It's like Kitsap county all jammed into one 20 car railway train. Finally, we get off at the station. Mama and Daddy run for air outside. There is air outside, but more people than on the inside! Here we go.....


It's SHIBUYA!


The day is not going how we planned. I am cranky. This stroller is not as great as I envisioned it. Mama decides to pack me for a while. We are starting to get lost. Look, there are English speaking people who will give us directions! They are headed the same direction we need to go and insist we follow. We follow them back to the exact same place we started. We WERE really lost. Now, we know which direction to head, but it may not be worth it.

While following them, I decide I need a diaper change, some snacks, a place to get down and run, and everything else under the sun. Mama says we can't stop until we get there, but she can't tell me exactly how many minutes it will take. There is not much else that could go wrong. I am beside myself. I start crying. Mama cries a little too.

The train home is the most logical choice at this point. 

Mama wants to redeem this terrible day just a little. There is a little park right near the Chuo station. I run until the sun disappears behind the skyscrapers. We stop for a burger and jojos on the way home. This is good. Deep fried potatoes have a way of making things better.


"Oink, oink." I can wink now. I practice lots. 

This day is less terrible now.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, oh Kari. Yea you sorta 'down-played' your Tokyo trip to me. I hope that someway somehow you can have a fun Tokyo experience before leaving!

    ReplyDelete