Tuesday, May 7, 2013

On'nanoko.

Today is one of the days I play with the little Japanese girls at the park.

On'nanoko= little girls

I have played with this group of girls at this park before, but Mama Roo has always left her camera behind. Today, she brings it, even though we are not planning to stay long.

This is how we usually find the little girls. They are in a circle with hand-held DS like devices. Most of them have their own and they share and giggle back and forth looking at each other's screens. "Look, kids! Girls and bikes. Hi. Hi. Hi. Hi!" By the time I am close enough for them to hear me, I say nothing. I just stare. It's effective. They drop their games and come play with me.



I want to show them how I can climb. They hover around me like a dog waiting for food to drop from a high chair.  I laugh at them when they worry whether or not I can climb this ladder. One is waiting for me at the top!


They help me on the slide every time. Two at the top. Two or three at the bottom. Sometimes one even goes down with me. I like to watch the girls come down too. Mama Roo is giggling to herself while she sits out of the way. Do you see the top of my head in this first picture?



I also like to climb the slide and they are more than happy to help. 


We pause from playing on the structure for a minute while I focus on baby. I decide she needs milk. They all think it's hilarious that she is naked. Pointing and laughing, they don't speak any words I understand. I shrug and make them help me put her in. Nagesa is my favorite, I let her help the most.



Mau'E takes this time to get out her DS device. She shows me and I don't want to let it go. I don't care that I have no idea what it does. Baby is helpful in the sling. Maybe she knows about these things? Prying it out of my hands, Mau'E shows me how to take a picture with it. These girls love their pictures! Nagesa and her friend assume the natural Japanese pose. 




I run toward the animals. I can climb two of them myself, but these girls will use any excuse to pick me up. Most of the time I wiggle free, but this time I know the purpose. I comply long enough to get myself where I want to be. "Yaybah!" I'm sitting high on the ladybug, now! Running back, I hand baby off to Mama for a pocket nap. Baby likes those.


One more trip up the slide, then we go home.


I love my Japanese friends! It doesn't matter that I have no idea what they are saying. I know they love me and that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment