Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ramen.

Today is the day for noodles.

Ramen= a type of Japanese noodle. There are six main types of noodles used in Japanese cooking.

We ride the bus to get to the noodles. Victoria is with us. "Toria, Toria."  I point and talk loudly while we wait. "Bus, bus, I on it. I on it. I on bus. Bus! Here it is!" We wait for our turn but assertively get on the bus. Japanese are polite, but they will run you over (really they just bump you while they go around) if you dilly dally when boarding public transportation. Mama puts me in the backpack most of the time. Today, Daddy holds me.


 "Say-mos-say," says the hostess at every restaurant including this one. Mama says they are actually saying "Irasshaimase" which means "I am here. I am ready to serve you." She motions her hand toward a table by the window. We have already seen the plastic food in the window next to the door, so we have an idea of what we want. "Engrish, engrish menus," our server says and then disappears. She produces two English menus out of the back. They are smaller than the regular menus. We just order from the regular menu. It has pictures. "Noodles. Kami's  bowl. Kami's spoon. Ready. Noodles, please."

Our noodles come fast! I dig right in!


Mama Roo shows me how to slurp. Daddy Bear slurps a little. Then, Toria does it too! I want to try. Everyone in the restaurant is doing it. We are loud. The tiny Japanese lady next to us is not slurping. I look at her. "Noodles! Spoon!" I show her. She needs to learn how to slurp. I take a big bite and show her.


I try harder with every bite. Mostly, I am successful. I fit in here.



Come have dinner with me. I'll show you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment