Monday, April 22, 2013

Origami.

Today is the day after the Japanese girls made us origami.

Origami= The Japanese decorative art of folding paper into shapes and figures.


Yesterday, we went to the playground and Mama didn't bring her camera. The best things always happen when she leaves it at home. 

Three girls surround us when we get there. They love my blond ponytails. First, they try to talk to me. I lead them to the ladder and to the animals. Giggling, they all take turns picking me up. When I have had enough fuss, they retreat to the bench were Mama Roo is sitting. Motioning and taking out paper, it looks like they want Mama to participate. I am ushered over to join in too. 

We fold and laugh and fold. They give me my very own paper. One girl folds a crane showing Mama each step. The next girl folds a piano in less than a second. The third girl just holds my hand and doesn't let go.

I love origami. I played with it until bed time. Now, this morning I play some more. "Bird. Green bird. OOOhhh. I fold it. Here." I concentrate now. 


"Piano. Pink? I fold it. Help, please. Ok, fold it. I do it."


"Smile, Kami Pie."
"I folding. Green bird folding. Girls fold it. Friends."
"Say cheese."
I make a face instead. Ha.


Mama walks away to do makeup. I run after her. "Makeup! Makeup! I helping. Counter. Up, please. Counter sitting. Up." Barging in the door, I reach my hands up. She puts me in position. I open the bag. 

"Sharp! Here." I hand over the scissors and tweezers. Mama says they are dangerous and I can't help her with those. "Kami's brush. Red blush, Kami's. Open it. Help, please. Pink blush, Mama's. I do it. Kami's brush." 


 We are done. Mama Roo scoops me up for a hug. "Kisses?" I ask.


"Yes! Mama loves kisses." 

A long time later, we cook dinner. I push a chair over. Mama says I'm only allowed to stand on the chair next to Daddy Bear. Rules are for everything. She must not want to take responsibility when I inevitably fall off it. I am very insistent on being at counter level. "I helping. Bite, please. I hold it. I helping." 


We are pleasantly cooking for a bit when Mama realizes that this is the perfect photo opportunity. Barf. She lines the frame up with the camera sitting on some books. I watch the whole time just waiting for the stack to tumble. It doesn't. This must be where I get my mad balancing skills. I still watch it as the light blinks faster and faster. Cheese. No smile. 


Mama Roo has done it again. This moment will forever be on a computer file or thumb drive somewhere. Great. Daddy Bear and I roll our eyes. Family time. Mama just laughs and tells us that we will be thanking her for this someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment