Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Laundry.

Today is the day I really helped Mama Roo with the laundry. No, really. I did!

Usually, I take the towels on and off the couch sometimes jumping on them and sometimes rolling in them. Mama Roo asks for them back one by one. She says, "Thank you for helping me, Lulu," but I know it's not really that much help. She folds them saying, "Corner to corner," on every one. She instructs like this out loud in hopes I will listen (I learned quite some time ago and it can be really helpful in sticky situations like the time I was stuck in a baby bouncer...I regress). Often Mama gives me my own pile in hopes I'll leave her pile alone. Her pile is always bigger. Bigger is usually better. I avoid my pile.

The last couple weeks, I have a new realization. I figured out that if I help Mama Roo, she will most likely read a story to me afterward. I love books and I'm working on reading soon, so any extra reading time is valuable. Fair trade, right?

So, I started working on my own pile in the last few weeks. I point to each pile, "Mama's, Kami's." I tried to roll them up in a ball the first couple times. Mama Roo said that isn't the way they fit best in the cabinet. She showed me how to lay them flat. "Corner to corner," I say. "Yes! That's right," Mama cheers. I still get the corners tangled up, but Mama says it's the right idea.



We have been doing this laundry thing a few times a week. Today, I really have it under control. Before she knows it I'm going to be doing all the laundry. (*HALLELUJAH coming from Mama over here!!! I am beyond excited for whenever she decides she can do it all herself!!!)

Today, I lay every washcloth flat. I repeat the mantra Mama uses. I grip each corner. I did one myself!!! Those washcloths don't all cooperate as easily, but I got a couple to agree with me. Mama Roo has the biggest smile. She must love laundry!



My favorite part is next. I can do this part all alone every time. After you fold, you put it in a pile with the rest of the washcloths. "Move over," I say. Then, to add extra flare, I flatten them out. "Soft, soft." Mama doesn't even have to fix the pile, I'm doing it so well.



After we fold them, Mama says we put them away. I have helped with this before, but I'm getting so big that I insist on taking the whole pile instead of the measly one or two that she usually hands over.


We put them away near the toilet room. I say, "Poo, poo, big girl on toilet." Mama decides it's a good time to work on another new skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment