Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beach.

Today Daddy Bear and Mama Roo took me to the Beach.

On our way they always talk about Grammy. I don't know exactly who Grammy is, but she sounds wonderful. Daddy says Grammy made the beach a place for popsicles, boats, rocks, chips and salsa, swimming, clams, and laughing with family. I don't understand everything he was saying, but it all sounds like a great story straight out of one of my books. He says that this summer I will see more of what he is talking about. Grammy won't be there, though. She went to live with Jesus. I know who Jesus is because I sing him happy birthday all the time.

When we drive for a long time, Mama Roo always packs me snacks. She gives me two choices and I refuse both of them. Two minutes later I ask for nuts, cookies, and "Wa-wa". I stack the snacks on each side of me and my water in the middle. Now days, I like to hand stuff back and forth with Daddy while he drives. Mama says that's not safe, but Daddy and I have it under control.

Soon, we get out of the car and go straight to the rocks. Daddy calls this a beach, but I am confused because the last beach we lived by has sand. I just keep saying, "Rock, rock, here hold it, two, hold it." There were LOTS of rocks. Mama says we have to say cheese.


Next, we stack rocks, throw rocks, push rocks over the edge, and try to lick a few to see what they taste like. Then I need my water. Mama Roo says, "Kami, not food." I just look at her and laugh.


After a while, I noticed I could climb this bulkhead quite easily. Up, down, backwards, sitting, up, up, down, down. Delighting in all the ways I could figure out how to get up and down, Mama and Daddy just smile.



Next we want to check out the inside of the cabin. Daddy Bear says that there is a picture of Grammy that looks just like me. While Daddy finds the key, I take interest in the statues on the porch. Now, I decide I'll stay out here instead of going inside. This little girl statue is the cutest! I ask Mama if I can take her home!


Inside, we find the picture and sure enough, I look just like Grammy at my age. I wish I would have seen her in person to see what I'm missing. Mama Roo says Grammy can see me from heaven and is so happy that I'm such a nice girl. Daddy Bear just smiles as he looks out into the sound while nodding in agreement.

We take a family picture to remember this beautiful day in February. Apparently, it doesn't happen here as often as in San Diego, so Mama says it's important to get outside as soon as the sun peeks through those NW clouds. "You never know how long it will stay out," she always says.

The great thing about visiting this place is that it holds so much meaning to our family. Whenever anyone comes out here, they retell the stories they know. Stories they have heard from grandparents and cousins, stories filled with laughter, stories about family, and stories about how things were. Every time I come Daddy Bear will tell some of the same stories I have already heard, but he will also slip in a few I haven't. He remembers them because his Daddy told him so many. It's like the walls speak to him when he comes here. Just looking at one chip in the paint, one rip in the carpet, or one flickering light sends a cascade of memories to him.Though is seems like just a location, the spirit of our family lives here, I can feel it. I see it in my Daddy's eyes.

The trip to the beach has been fun. I put down my rocks and sticks, kick the sand off my shoes, and run the length of the sidewalk one last time just like all the kids have before me. I insist on kissing the statue babies goodbye.When the sun comes out again, we will come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment